United Arab Emirates (UAE) (January 19, 2022) – The CUBC Canada-UAE Energy and Clean Technology Working Group held a roundtable discussion on January 19, 2022 at the margins of the World Future Energy Summit in Abu Dhabi with The Honourable Jeremy Harrison, Minister of Trade and Export Development of Saskatchewan, to explore collaboration opportunities in the clean energy sector.
“Although Saskatchewan’s relationship with the UAE has mostly been in agriculture, we share many common goals and interests, particularly in the energy sector. We see huge potential for cooperation in a number of areas to help the UAE meet its goal of achieving net-zero emissions by 2050 particularly through carbon capture, utilisation and storage; hydrogen production; the development of small modular nuclear reactors; and the supply of uranium.”
– The Honourable Jeremy Harrison, Minister of Trade and Export Development of Saskatchewan
The event was held in collaboration with the Mubadala Investment Company and Masdar. Participants included:
- Dr. Bakheet Al Katheeri, Executive Director, UAE Industries, UAE Investments at Mubadala Investments Company;
- Florian Merz, Director, UAE Industries (Energy Transition) at Mubadala Investment Company;
- Mariam Al Qubaisi, Head of Sustainability, Government, International & Communications, Etihad
- Tim Casben, Partner & Head of Dubai Office, Gowling WLG
- Alexander Ritschel, Head of Technology, Masdar
- Mohammad El Ramahi, Director, Asset Management & Technical Services, Masdar
- Roy Dabbous, Regional Director, Middle East, Hatch
- Grant Strem, Chief Executive Officer, Proton Technologies
- Niall Mac Dowell, Acting Vice-President, Strategy and Stakeholder Relations, International CCS Knowledge Centre
Minister Harrison’s visit coincided with the opening of the Province’s Trade and Investment Office in Dubai to strengthen ties between Saskatchewan and the United Arab Emirates and create new economic opportunities. In 2020, the province was Canada’s largest exporting province to the UAE with exports valued at C$627.6 million, a 52% increase from the previous year (C$412 million).
About the Canada-UAE Business Council
The Canada-UAE Business Council (CUBC) is an initiative spearheaded by the federal governments of the UAE and Canada to facilitate trade and business activity between the two countries. This high-level business organization supports the development of long-term relationships and undertakes strategic and targeted initiatives to enhance business and trade opportunity between Canada and the UAE, by supporting Canadian business to conduct business in the UAE and UAE businesses to conduct business in Canada.